Sunday, June 3, 2018

Defense or one more bat?

For the 2018 Summer Chicagoland I am managing the 1995 Tribe.  They are a team that needs no lengthily introduction; explosive bats 1-8 and a lights out Bullpen. 


Here are the cards starting with the position players 1-9, Murray is the DH.  As I have worked this team out, I believe I will sit Sorrento and play Murray at 1st if the pitcher hits. 


Here is the Bullpen, about as solid as I can ask for.


The rotation for Chicago (Remember it is Any grade, no better than a B, no better than a C, and no better than a D)







Everything else falls into its typical place; defense 2, not much speed and a serviceable to solid rotation for this specific tournament. 



Here is the rub: my #9 hitter (with a DH) is Omar Vizquel, he is a SS 10 but hits very poorly.  I can start Espinoza who is a SS 7, but that drops the defense from 2 to 3.

Here are the SS cards: 


Not great.  I hate that 8 sitting at 33 in a tournament, he has the 15-11 and two 0s, two 10s, and remember he keeps the defense at a 2.


Espinoza lowers the defense 3 points and that takes the team to a defense 3.  He has the virtue of a 7 at 33, two 0s and a 22-7, but lost the 15-11 and the 10s.  He is not a J-4 so I can start him.

It feels a bit offense greedy to sit Vizquel for the 33-8 just to get a 7 at 33 and take the defensive hit.

What has worked out well is having Vizquel bunt with runners on and less than two outs to essentially manage him like a pitcher at the plate with this team.

I have failed to mention up to this point that with the XCs I have a set of three monster cards. 

Giles .556, Ripken .412, and Burnitz .571.  This allows a pinch hitter for Vizquel and Espinoza to come in and play SS with the defensive hit.  It also allows for a monster option to pinch hit for a pitcher if I lose the DH. 



The 1995 Cleveland Indians Murderers' Row:


The Chicagoland continues to be one of the premier APBA events in the county, including the national event. 


No comments:

Post a Comment