Tuesday, February 16, 2016

2006 Twins vs. 1994 Playoff Teams

This weekend I took a chance to get the 2006 Twins into shape for the upcoming Michigan Tournament run by my friend and overall APBA guru Rich Zawadzki.  Facebook has all the info on the tournament or leave a message here and I can put you in touch with Rich, but the field may be set already.





The 1994 Playoffs looked like this:
Yankees
Expos
Reds
Rangers
Dodgers
White Sox

As you all recall, it was a strike year and the strike added an element of fun to play this one out.  Also, this set (1994 playoff) seems to have high production numbers as it is often available on eBay and other outlets for used stuff.  

The 2006 Twins went 4-2 against the 1994 Playoff set.  Started out with two straight losses: one against the Expos and the other the Yankees, then swept the rest as the bats heated up.  I only played one game against each team as we had company for the weekend. 





Here is how I hit the 2006 Twins:

1. Luis Castillo 2B-8 F
2. Joe Mauer C-8
3. Justin Morneau 1B-4
4. Torii Hunter CF-3
5. Michael Cuddyer RF-3
6. Jason Bartlett SS-8
7. Lew Ford LF-2 F
8. Nick Punto 3B-5 F
9. Jason Tyner DH F

This follows the APBA #s and not the actual lineup or the stats on the cards.

The Twins raked that year with MVP Morneau and Silver Sluggers for Mauer and Morneau.



A nice lineup overall.  It lacks speed at the top, but has power and hits for average: Mauer hit .347, Morneau .321 with 34HRs, Hunter .278 with 31HRs, and Cuddyer hitting .284 with 24HRs. Defense is a 1.  Speed ends up clustered at the bottom of the order the way I hit it and that makes for a change of strategy as you work through the line-up, swing away at the top, move them over at the bottom.  The #1 defense combined with 2 A starters slows the opponent down.  The #3 and 4 are C's so get your sticks going for the bottom 1/2 of the rotation. 

Rotation

Johan Santana Axyz
Frankie Liriano Ak
Boof Bonser Cxz
Brad Radke Cz



Pen

Denny Reyes A/B* xy
Joe Nathan A/C* kxz
Pat Neshek A* kxz
Jesse Crain B* yz

The Pen is killer with Reyes, Nathan, and Neshek ready to go for the tournament and I like Crain for games that the run differential is in the + or- 4 range.  I have 6 A/B or A/C outs and 9 A or above outs to work with in Michigan. 

Game 1: Expos 9 Twins 0



The Expos threw Pedro (Bx) and shut the Twins down scattering 6 hits over the full 9 and tossing a shutout.  This is a fun team to play as you see Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou, to name a few.  Pedro held the big bats in check and Santana gave up too may long balls (3 2Bs and 3 HRs).

Game 2: Yankees 10 Twins 4



I threw Abbott (C) against the Twins and as with Pedro, they never needed to go to the pen.  The Twins scratched out a few runs early, but the Yankees jumped out early with a GRAND SLAM from Bernie Williams and that closed the books on Liriano.  


Game 3: Minnesota 10 Texas 4



The Twins' bats came alive lead by Torii Hunter with a 4-4 performance with 2 2Bs and a HR: he was on fire.  The Rangers threw The Gambler (Cyz) and lost. 

Game 4: Twins 2 Dodgers 1



Radke and the Pen locked this one down!  For the sake of symmetry I threw Ramon Martinez (Cy) and he went the distance.  Radke gave up one run to a solo HR and then the Pen came in and held the Dodgers to 1 hit over 7 outs with Reyes closing it out 1,2,3 (K,K,F-8)

Game 5: Twins 4 White Sox 2

         


Extra Innings! Free Baseball! Locked up 2-2 from the 3rd to the top of the 11th.  Santana goes the distance against Jason Bere (Bxw) and a mix of the Pen.  Rock Rains and The Big Hurt are a scary combo but Santana had his magic holding the Sox to 2 runs. 

Game 6: Cincinnati 5 Minnesota 6



A tight one, Liriano gives up all 5 and Gardenhire goes to the pen early and often.  Jose Rijo (Bx) goes 8 1/3 and gives up a solo HR in the top of the 9th to Mauer for the loss.  Nathan shuts the door. 

What did I learn for Michigan?
I have a great pen.  I can rely on some power in the heart of the order.  I really need to move the 8 and 9 batters around the bases with 1 or 0 outs to get to the top of my order.  The 2006 Twins were a great team. 





3 comments:

  1. Great article!! I've looked over the cards of that 2006 Twins....they have serious potential! Then I've also looked at the '06 A's set and I still can't believe Oakland swept MN in three games! Best of luck in Michigan! See you in April in Maple Grove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blew it in Michigan, total managers error. I had a z in the pen and left my starter in with bases loaded and tied. Walked in the winning run and put me in the consolation bracket. Manager FAIL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blew it in Michigan, total managers error. I had a z in the pen and left my starter in with bases loaded and tied. Walked in the winning run and put me in the consolation bracket. Manager FAIL!

    ReplyDelete