Monday, May 2, 2016

The big winner and the problem of Danny Darwin

Congratulations Jim Welch taking those 1941 Red Sox all the way!



I am so glad the Prairieland was a success, as all these tournament are turning out to be.  Next stop for the Mid-west, the Chicago Fantasy tournament in July.  I will be taking another run with those 2006 Twins with the addition of the 1977 Rod Carew. 

Jim's prize went in the mail last week: a new-in-the-box APBA Negro Leagues set. 


The Trouble with Danny Darwin


I sent an interesting question around Facebook yesterday and I will raise it here again.  I am playing in a small local tournament and I drew a team randomly from a pool: The 1990 Houston Astros. 

Standard tournament setup: Starters must go 5, grade reductions in effect, arms out of the pen limited to 6 outs, no restrictions on the pen pitching back-to-back games. 



There are 2 possible rotations:

#1
Mark Portugal By
Bill Gullickson Cz
Mike Scott Cy
Jim Deshaies C

or 



#2
Danny Darwin B(A*)yz
Mark Portugal By
Bill Gullickson Cz
Mike Scott Cy



The pen for rotation #1 would be
Darwin B(A*)yz
David Smith A*xz
Juan Agosto D*



The pen for #2
David Smith A*xz
Juan Agosto D*



Do I bolster the rotation with a Byz or the pen with a Ayz?

I will play 10 games, so Darwin as a starter will go game 1,5, and 10.  Minimum 18 innings of a Byz

He could throw 20 in relief as a Ayz

I really like the z out of the pen and I tend to be pen-heavy as a manager, but running a rotation of 3 C's is asking for trouble. 

What would you do with Danny Darwin?


8 comments:

  1. I personally would use him out of the pen, you do get to use him for two innings in a game, if your starters run into trouble.. but I do hear ya, that extra B in rotation can be enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's a 1990 tournament so there are some big bats.

      Delete
  2. With only one other quality reliever I'd go definitely Pen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With only one other quality reliever I'd go definitely Pen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, A D out of the pen in at best a C for one batter in the middle of the inning. It is a tough choice! I hate to get in trouble early with a crew of Cs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bullpen for sure! That Z is valuable in relief!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bullpen for sure! That Z is valuable in relief!

    ReplyDelete