Tuesday, June 28, 2016

TCABT -VI and Howie Mooney Does it Again!

Selection Saturday for TCABT-VI!  What a fun time of year.  


I have some self-imposed rules for team selection that I abide by now: I only play Twins, Royals, and Cardinals teams, with one exception, the 1990 Reds. 

Why these teams?  I grew up in West-central Minnesota-so a life-long Twins fan.  I did part of my graduate work in Kansas (RockChalk!), and I now live in Illinois and adopted the Cardinals as my local team.  The '90 Reds?  Two words: Chris Sabo. 

The TCBAT continues to grow every time we play as it is now up to 32 teams and may go to 36.  I highly reccomend this tournament as the play is excellent, and the fellowship is top notch.  It is a very well run tournament and you will have a great day. 

After midnight on Saturday July 2, we can begin to select our teams.  I usually play a few games with some possible teams and then send my selection in.  Some of the teams I am tempted to manage in the TCBAT are the 1969, 1987, 1988, and 1991 Twins.  I missed my chance to play the 69 Twins in the Prairieland Tournament as I had a death in the family.  So I feel I need to give them a run. However, Howie Mooney ran a set of 1988 Twins for me and I have been playing them to get a feel for them.  




Why '88?  Both Kirby (.356 24HR)  and Hrbek (.312 25HR)  had big years, along with Gaetti's best year (.301 28HR)  at the plate and the '88 Twins have 2 A starters, both with a z. 




Why not '88? Two, yes two, D starters. D as in "Death" in a tournament. 

Howie Mooney ran a set of the 1988 Twins for me and they are gorgeous.  Here is a shot of the envelope and card-back.




Below are some of the well-know players.  This could be the 1-4 in the lineup.  Some speed at the top with "Crank" and "Puck" and then the power of "Buy a Vowel" and "The Rat". 

The lineup as I have it appears to be a 1 defense if a 2 is throwing so my Ds have a defense 1 behind them as does my closer.  I can add a defensive upgrade at catcher (Harper is a 6, Nieto is an 8) and gain a 1 defense late in a game. 



The rotation is hot and cold.  Two As and two Ds.  The saving grace, those Zs are a big help. 

Viola as the ace and then I am always at a loss on how to set the rotation.  Conventional wisdom says top to bottom, Viola, Anderson, Bert and then Straker.  But in a tourney I am inclined to mix it up, Viola (A), Bert (D), Anderson (A), and Straker (D), so I have at least one A going against each opponent. 


The Pen. One A with letters and one B with letters, and both have a z.  Reardon will close and Atherton can go as set-up, and use that one-time A upgrade when needed. The pen is short. "Señor Smoke" Berenguer is a C* with xyw.  A somewhat available option especially in the middle of an inning so he is a one-time B*. 





Yes, I know, I can't use Howie's set in the tournament, but I own an '88 complete set. 

Howie also ran a Twins All-star team for me that I will post next week.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete