Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Brothers Project Part I

The same Christmas after I bought my 1985 set, my brother got a new set as a gift from his wife. When we discovered that we each had the game we tried to play over email: 1991 Twins v 1961 Yankees.  The series died out due to time constraints, but I hope to revise it soon.  We will begin play again after I get a handle on the software that my WBO League uses.

To get the email play going with my brother Lon, I proposed we each put together an All-Star, all favorite team. We each limited ourselves to players we at actually saw play (radio or TV acceptable, thus no Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe, etc) and put a 25 man roster together that will play well, replacement catcher, utility infielder, pinch-runner, etc. It was a fun project to decide who you really liked the most and what positions you need to fill.

I contacted the extremely competent Howie Mooney for printing the cards and envelopes.  He is a gift.  Here is the envelop for my team, card backs and Lon's envelope for a later post. Well done Howie.



We will play a best of a 51 game series via email starting in March or April.  Use a 4 man rotation with a spot starter that we will establish a rule for when we use the 5th man, with a 5 inning minimum for starters unless injured, and a catcher rest rule.  We will use new boards, the TCBAT error card modification (it is excellent, and I will post it here sometime soon), my modified unusual play chart (also to be posted), and my new instant replay card (soon, to make an appearance here).

I will outline each team here starting with the Rotation and starters.

My team is named the Wilkin County Linemen and his team is the Campbell Crackers.  Trivia contest, where are they located?  Do some internet research or if you just know, post here.  I'd try it now as the post goes on, it becomes obvious.

First, my starting rotation with photos and notes.

The 4 man rotation for the Wilkin County Linemen:

1.  1984 Bert Blyleven (B, yz)

Bert has to anchor this rotation even if he is not the best of the 4, he is the leader. I love Bert with his long connection to the Twins as a pitcher and broadcaster, even drafted by the Twins out of High School.  With a wicked 12-6 curve ball and all the savvy and experience of a Hall of Famer he is a fantastic #1 for this team and I am excited to see him anchor in a long series.  As a B yz he will have his challenges when you see the Campbell line-up. Even if he flips the bird to national TV, he's my #1. I hope the Flying Dutchman has the Crackers number as he will see a minimum of 5 starts even if I lose the first 25 straight.  If I can hold my own he could realistically get 10 starts.



2.  1978 Dave Goltz  (A,z)

Goltzy grew up about 30 miles from me and retired in Wilkin County after life in The Show so he deserves some form of a "C" on his jersey.  He was the ace of the great Twins teams of 1977 and 1978, with '78 being his best season.  I met Dave on several occasions, in dugouts in Western Minnesota.  As an A z he should hold his own and another workhorse like Bert.



3.  2012 R.A. Dickey  (A, xz)

If you listen to NPR and heard his interview at the end of 2012, it was fantastic.  A true student of the game and knows his history and place in it.  Speaks eloquently of the art of throwing a knucklball he learned to throw after he was in The Show, he is the kind of ball player I respect and cheer for.  A true asset to the game.  An A, xz is another step-up statistically in the rotation from Bert and Goltzy. Another Twin (a short stay, but I watched him throw), my 1-3 can wear the TC on their jerseys.



4.  2000 Rick Ankiel  (B, xy)

Equal only to Bert in terms of the greatest curve-ball I have ever seen, his roughly 12-6 was jaw-dropping.  Watching him throw for the Cards in 2000 was astonishing, and his return to baseball after the yips as a studly outfielder with a cannon for an arm was fantastic. As a B xy he is the #4 and will continue the junk thrown by all 4, With a wicked curveball and a tight fastball he will be great,






My deep pen and spot starters;

1.  1995 Hideo Nomo

I really enjoyed watching Nomo in the 1995 season, his windup and delivery that typically ended in a K was amazing.  Rookie of the Year, led the League in K's twice, and really opened the door for Japanese players he is a great story.  As an A xy he is a very solid spot starter and will take the bump when we play a 5 game series.



2.  2002 Tim Wakefield

Two Knuckleballers?  In a real life situation, no way.  Here in APBA, no problem.  I followed the 2002 Sox closely and they are my #4 go-to team, especially if they are playing the Yankees. He is rated an A/A* x so I can also bring him in after 5 if someone is getting shelled by the bat heavy Crackers. 



3.  1992 Jim Abbott

After following him closely after his Olympic and post-college career I found him a very compelling player, tough and a great fielding pitcher despite  playing one-handed. Read his book Imperfect for a look into his life and the life of a player in the early 1990s.  Rated a B y he is a great arm to bring in when we are blowing out the Crackers or the reverse is true.




6 Starting pitchers for a 51 (or possibly more, this is not set in stone) game series, 5 dedicated to take the ball as a start and one (Wakefield) to also work out of the pen.  Given the chance for injuries (we will play them out) 6 seems safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment