Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Cut day- or - Red Tag in the locker day.


I just started playing in a card-and-dice email league titled the World Baseball Organization (WBO) run out of Florida.  I inherited a team and renamed it the Fargo Beet Kings and have had a blast analyzing that team and gearing up for the 2015 set for the 2016 season.  I have the 4th round pick each round and an additional pick in the third.  We have 30 man rosters and need to cut down to 22 before next week so I took the time to put red flags in 8 players lockers.  Here is the Fargo Beet Kings 22 man roster cut list:

Emilio Bonifacio- He only played in 47 games last year and hit .167-prime red flag candidate.

Billy Butler- this one was tough especially when I reveal who I had to protect.  I really like Butler and loved him with the Royals and if the A's took him, they see something.  He played in 151 games and hit .251-no all star, but solid for this type of league.

Leonys Martin- 95 games and .219, no room for that and not confident about his future.

Cliff Pennington- 105 games played but only hit .210.

Matt Dominguez- this one was tough, as I like holding on to prospects, especially third basemen as that position is thin.  It is clear the former owner was an Astros fan as most young players are out of Houston, but Dominguez is an interesting player.

Brett Oberholtzer*- 38IP and a C, with that nasty "w".

Brad Peacock*- 5IP and a D.  No thanks.

Craig Stammen-4IP and a projected A/B with a w, but I can only throw him 4 total innings and no confidence in his future.

I decided to protect two proven or somewhat proven players, that had short years last year and I see more in their future than I do in the inherited prospects that are Astros heavy.

I protected: Yasiel Puig (79 games) and Hunter Pence (52 games).  I see Pence returning to his former self (roughly 300, 70 RBIs, 20HR, fast 2 or 3) and Puig has a big upside I believe. Protecting these two over playing Butler was the big decision.  I am going to rely on a good draft to fill the outfield and try and land an Ace.  A tall order to fill but I am sure I can get one or the other with the #4 and with luck, both.

I will do a post on my starting 9 and arms in the near future, but today was the first big set of decisions I had to make for this team.  The only other off-season news was trading Tanaka for Lackey and the 35th overall draft pick.  Tanaka was highly sought after, but both other managers seeking him were huge Yankees fans.

Tanaka B, yz with 156 IP and a good future

Lackey B, yz with 218 IP and a so/so future, but I also got the 35th overall pick.

I am happy with the trade as I am +62 innings and a draft pick.

I only have two Twins players: Santana and Gibson. Steve's Card Computer projected Santana as a straight C and Gibson as a straight B.


No comments:

Post a Comment