Thursday, January 21, 2016

Brothers Project Part IV

The Infield. Where defense reigns supreme.




Here we go around the horn.


C  2009 Joe Mauer C-9

Joey Da' Gun behind the Dish.  A real threat for base-runners and a great game manager for my average rotation (compared to my competition).  The local hero should be a great field general and his '09 bat was very impressive, more on that when I do the batting order. 





1B 1988 Kent Hrbek (S) 1B-4

Who doesn't love Herbie! As a big man most discount his glove, but it was great.  A real leader and a powerful left-handed bat, but slow on the bases, he will be a great everyday addition to the Lineman. 





2B 2011 Tsuyoshi Nishioka 2B-7 

Wow, odd choice, I know.  But I have made a study of the Japanese professional game over the last 10 years or so and when the Twins drafted a slick second baseman who was also the batting champion of NPB, I was all in.  I watched his very short career with the Twins closely.  In the end, in the Show, he couldn't hit, run, field, or throw, and was made of glass.  But, he is my favorite second baseman of all time, so here he is, out at second, with that fancy glove, and hitting 9th. 





3B 1991 Chris Sabo (F) 3B-5

My favorite player of all-time, hence three photos.  Spuds was a stud and carried himself like an old-school ball player from the 1950s.  A great third baseman, powerful arm, super intense, student of the game, very smart, quick and fast, he's the man.  Despite wearing a ridiculously small glove 11" and even a 10.5" at times, he was spectacular at the hot corner, and the goggles are a bonus. 







SS 1991 Cal Ripken SS-10

The Ironman: classy, talented, committed to the game, he's a sure thing for captain of the infield.  The first of the big hitting gold glove shortstops we expect today, he stood tall turning a double play, hit for average and power, and a real leader.  He will take the majority of throws down from Mauer as Nishioka can't be trusted. 






Infield Defense Total: 35 
Combined with a 9 outfield puts me at fielding 1 all the time.  I am not sure if we are going to play the more complex fielding rules, but we will use the Twin Cities Error Chat, Nishioka will suffer for it. 

2 comments:

  1. Eric, I just discovered your blog site and have now added a link to it from my blog. Great stuff, thanks! - Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete