Friday, January 1, 2016

Twin Cities Selection Saturday.

Team selection begins at midnight for the Twin Cities Tournament.  It is an excellent tourney hosted in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis for you southerners) by the very gracious Darrell Skogen.

Here is a link to another excellent blog run by Jim Fraasch and details for the TCABT-V.

I now have an unusual rule for tournament selection.  I can only select Twins, Royals, or Cardinals teams (with one exception, that I will announce Sunday).  My wife discovered that I was taking a Cubs (1908) team to the last TCABT, and as a Cardinals fan, this was heresy.  Thus, I was playing to win and not just to have fun, so I agreed to this limiting rule, which actually makes team selections more enjoyable, and more research intensive.   I have limited the field to three teams as of today, now I just have to put them in order for the email to Jim at 12:01am on the 2nd of this new month.

APBA tourneys do a nice job of recreating the actual game on the field.  A poor starting rotation will depend on hot bats too much to carry the day.  Poor defense can kill you at a critical point, or grind you down with the occasional run allowed and this leading to a loss.  A strong pen is fun as it changes the games after the 5th inning and provides a sense of urgency in innings 1-5.  Bats can be hot or cold or hit for their represented average and power on the card, it all depends on the dice.   Despite throwing an A/C, I suffered immensely under the bats of Leroy Arnoldi's 1937 Yankees in the last TCABT.

Team announcement and updates here Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment